“Heartbeat of the World” is the motto with which starts this year’s Special Olympic Winter Games in Austria. These remarkable Olympic Games is a unique meeting of sports enthusiasts, for whom disability does not constitute an obstacle to the fulfillment of dreams and realizing in their passion. Taking place from 14 to 25 March Special Olympic World Winter Games will bring together approximately 3,000 athletes from more than 100 countries! If you want to participate in this fantastic event, which combines one of the biggest sporting events and great fun, now book a flight to Graz or another city in Austria.
Special Olympic World Winter Games will take place in three cities in Austria: Graz, Schladming-Rohrmoos, and Ramsau. Therefore, a sports event here can be combined with getting to know corners of Austria, its culture, and tastes, as well as fun while practicing winter sports.
The organization and the most important events of the Olympics
The organizers of the event, first few days are planning to spend on hosting the arrived athletes – so called Host Town, and until March 18th, all participants will have the opportunity to know the most beautiful places in the region, take part in training sessions, social events, and many others. It is, therefore, the best moment for all travelers and sports enthusiasts who came here to cheer, to actively explore both the cities that are hosting the event and the whole region.
- Grand opening ceremony of the Special Olympic World Winter Games is scheduled for 18th March in Schladming on the Planai Stadion. World Games begins with a ceremonial light up the torch. There’s no denying that this is a unique event that allows taking a closer look at athletes. The whole event will be an incredible artistic sensation, so without a doubt, the arrival for the inauguration of the Olympics is a must!
- From 19 to 23 March will be held numerous competitions. In Graz, we will see players struggles of in indoor hockey, floorball, speed skating and skating as well as stick shooting. In Schladming-Rohrmoos will be played disciplines of alpine skiing and snowboarding, while in the city Ramsau we will see cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.
- 24th of March is the Big End of the Olympics, so we can count on a wonderful celebration and a great show. In Graz at the UPC Merkur Arena, we will see the winners – which means all those who took part in these exceptional competitions! Special Olympic World Winter Games is an incredible social and sporting event. The positive attributes of sport, players, members of their families and volunteers make all the barriers are broken here, increasing acceptance and tolerance among people. The flight here will, therefore, be not only, the attraction of tourism and entertainment, but also a great lesson.
Tips on how to spend free time between a rousing cheer!
Spending a few days in Austria, you should get to know the host cities of the Special Olympic Winter Games, they are worth it!
- Graz is an excellent flight destination because it is a culinary and cultural capital of Austria. This fantastic site is a place where you can go to several museums and galleries and see the numerous monuments from the World Heritage List. Among the landmarks impresses especially the Old Town, and a fabulous view from the Schlossberg, which is the most beautiful viewing point of the city. The symbol of the town is the Clock Tower dating from the thirteenth century, as well as an incredible Armoury, which captures the unique atmosphere. In the modern part of the city enchants Kunsthausthat that is standing right by the river Mur, hosting international exhibitions and contemporary art.
- Schladming-Rohrmoos are towns located in the heart of Upper Styria, and the region Schladming-Dachstein. The lively streets are the perfect place to unwind after a busy day, especially if along with rooting for athletes, we spend time actively – for example skiing. Schladming is the most popular location for ski enthusiasts, including beginners – on top of Hochwurzen is located a seven-kilometer long toboggan run. In Rohrmoos it is quieter, and it is worth to go there with children.
- The surrounding valleys Ober and Untertal are the perfect place to relax after a busy cheering the athletes or skiing. Here you can also enjoy the charm of 60-kilometer cross-country trails and numerous hiking trails. The fairytale ravine Talbachklamm is an opportunity to benefit from the wonders of nature in the form of icicles, and unspoiled nature.
- Ramsau is the capital of cross-country skis, one can, in fact, get to enjoy the over 200 km long routes on the massif of the Dachstein. Picturesque location, the ability to ride a cable car, and take advantage of the many winter activities that make the occasion of the Special Olympic World Winter Games, you can spend a lovely time. The town of Ramsau impresses with it’s the ski jump, which is famous for numerous international competitions, including world championships.