Illness is a problem that can effectively spoil traveling, so you should know how to avoid getting sick and protect yourself, to stay healthy in the way. Traveling internationally are an increased risk of illnesses, as the journey to new places is inherent in exposing ourselves to an entirely new environment, bacteria or parasites. Often, however, the use of the basic principles and elimination of several mistakes allows us to avoid of illness and thus be able to fully enjoy our dream journey.
Prevention is better than cure!
If you are planning a trip – especially flight in a distant corner of the world, you have to be prepared. To avoid getting sick when traveling internationally remember a few important things.
- Remember the current vaccinations – travel to certain countries it makes it necessary to be vaccinated. Everything depends on the destination of the journey, personal medical history, etc. factors, so at least 6-8 weeks before the planned departure, you should go to a doctor who will help to prepare accordingly. Many countries require current vaccination (including those of routine), so it is important to verify them and to have the relevant documents. Vaccinations help to protect against serious tropical diseases, and more.
- Take care of the strengthening of the immune system – the very airplane flight can result in unpleasant conditions – dry air, facilitates the circulation of microorganisms, so take care of your health just before departure. Keep at your fingertips some vitamin C and the saline spray. Vitamins will help to fight germs, and the saline solution will help moisten the nose to facilitate purification of the body.
- Remember to take proper medication – a journey to countries where there is an increased risk of malaria it is worth to take antimalarial drugs, but they are recommended only when the risk is real. Also, anyone who has problems with motion sickness – during the flight, on the road or a boat should carry pills, which will help ease the dizziness, nausea, and vomiting, and the trip will be less onerous. Don’t forget as well about medicines that you use on a daily basis – abroad you may have a problem with their purchase.
Tips for a healthy journey when traveling internationally
When traveling, sickness can occur suddenly and more efficiently spoil our trip. Fortunately, many problems can be prevented by following simple rules that can ensure a peaceful journey. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Take your pillow or blanket – many airlines provide blankets and pillows, but if they were not wrapped in the protective film, may carry the risk of infection.
- If you can, choose the flights on the times of day and seasons of the year in which people are traveling less – it is also less danger of catching some illness.
- Wash your hands – a simple and yet we forget about it. Keeping in mind the regular hand washing, we can protect ourselves against many infections. Hand hygiene can prevent the spread of diseases, can reduce the risk of diarrhea, vomiting, food poisoning, flu, and even the hepatitis A.
- Have handy disinfectant wipes or antibacterial gel – they are useful when you can not washing your hands – before eating or after using the toilet.
- Drink plenty of water – if you are traveling, drink bottled water from reliable sources because the local water can be with a dubious cleanliness. Even when the locals drink tap water without a problem, for us, it can be the cause of serious stomach problems. Practical are also bottles with a built-in filter that purifies the water, and at the same time help save money and protect the environment.
- Beware of contaminated food – meals eaten during the trip are among the most common causes of health problems in traveling. Uncertain origin of food can cause infection of E. coli, Shigella, Salmonella, Giardia, Entamoeba hystolytica, Campylobacter, cryptosporidia, Cyclospora, cholera, and other unpleasantness. The best meals are from fresh products, cooked and served hot.
- Do not be afraid to eat only proven and familiar foods – if you are worried your reaction after a spicy curry or bloody steak do not take chances and eat something you know and can tolerate – but still paying attention to the quality of products.
- Be active – there is nothing that strengthens the body as a stable dose of physical activity. Being away from home, be sure to exercise or spend time actively, as this will help improve your overall health, improve your mood and strengthen immunity. Healthy lifestyle while traveling is also an excellent opportunity to experience the extraordinary adventures as jungle trekking, scuba diving in the sea or mountain climbing.
- Protect yourself from the sun – sunburn and stroke are medical conditions that can effectively ruin the trip and be dangerous to health and even life. Be sure to take creams with filter, hats and to covering the body. Excessive exposure to the sun can be extremely dangerous, and therefore you should dosing it with moderation.
- Watch out for mosquitoes – mosquito bites are the nightmare of every traveler, both because of the unpleasant symptoms as well because they carry the risk of infection of many diseases like yellow fever, dengue, malaria Japanese encephalitis and chikungunya. In areas of the world where mosquitoes are a serious problem, the best choice is air conditioned rooms, wearing appropriate clothing, using protective cosmetics, or using mosquito nets.
- If you are allergic, choose the hotels with hypo-allergenic rooms – after flying, with climate change, etc. you can suffer unpleasantness associated with respiratory problems. Therefore the night in a neutral environment will help to recover.
As you can see avoiding getting sick when traveling internationally it is not an impossible task. Following a few simple and very effective rules may be a guarantee of an incredible journey. Of course, before the trip – especially this far, to destinations with an increased risk of serious infections and diseases – you should consult your doctor.tags: How to avoid getting sick, travel, travel hacks